Saturday, March 14, 2009

Twinkle Bottom

Tis the season when the wee folk run rampart springing to life after spending the winter sleeping in the hollows. This is a tale about one particular wee folk… Twinkle Bottom.

Winter had been long and harsh. Snow was thigh deep in the highlands. Yet it was a soft snow meaning as you took a step you would sink soundly. Not even snowshoes would save you from wrecked knees, splintered ankles.

March arrived with warm temperatures, sunny skies and fresh aire. Avian creatures soared in with Spring riding opon their wings. Robins brought the song, sparrows the helter skelter, doves renewed lust and Canadian Geese traveling from the southern climes spread its warmth. Ahhhh, life renewed.

As I raked I noticed a trail unlike the voles. It wasn’t under the snow but on top, tiny foot prints scurrying from tree to tree. Hhmmmm, this must be one light creature I pondered as there are only two feet not the usual four. I saw the footie prints mostly around the maples where nectar is flowing, sweetly and slowly. Aha! the mission is on.

Night falls slower now yet settles darker. There is no white shite to brighten the garden. Shadows are slim due to bare branches creating a perfect backdrop for spying on the wee folk. I sit silently under the waning full moon waiting for a sign and I was not disappointed.

A quick flash out of the darkness draws me eyes to the right. Spark! Spark! Spark! O what is that I wonder as these eyes focus. There it is ! The tiniest of creatures wearing, cardinal feather leggings not unlike red Stanfield long johns; a jacket created from moss, perfect, soft and warm; the cap of an acorn keeping his wee tete warm; and a scarf of artemisia so worn but wrapped snugly.

But wait, I see the spark again. What in heavens name is this? With every step he takes, sparks emit. Soft sparks, but more like twinkling from wee Christmas lights blinking on and off to no rhythm but their own. He dances from tree to tree hearing his own silent tune and lights up the night. I sit and watch taking great delight as this wondrous scene of twinkles emits with his every step. The garden is alive this night, with wee Twinkle Bottom.

10 comments:

  1. Aww..I enjoyed this story...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do enjoy the tales you weave through the eyes and ears of your landscape. You've got such an observant eye...

    ReplyDelete
  3. :O Rogue :)

    Michelle, was a fun pondering

    Cath, thanks you so much, I have a pondering eye ;)

    Slainte! Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice ... you do have a pondering eye!!!!

    Big hello from SpeedyCat :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This mind is one with the view :D Good to see ya Speeeedy

    Cheryl :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do hope that Twinkle Bottom visits my garden one evening soon ...

    By the way Cheryl 'Paternity' concludes on Journeys in Creative Writing today. Sorry for the wait for the final part of Pip's story but I hope you think it was worth it. Let's know what you think ...
    June in Oz

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Cheryl, what a joy to read and reread. This is brilliant and makes me so very happy. I love little Twinkle Bottom. You were very lucky to be able to watch him dance and spark. :-)
    Frances

    ReplyDelete
  8. O that I am Frances, can hardly wait for summer ;)

    June, I'm sure there are Aussie Twinkle Bottoms as well who may surprise you late at night in your own garden

    :) Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautifully written, and so very enticing :-)

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. I know you've popped by :)