Sunday, October 23, 2011

My backyard

Captures light,
iridescent prisms momentarily suspended in spider webs
crystalline raindrops race down the veins of night softened leaves
shadows twist and dance in the moist setting sun
Diamonds shattered on sunbeams splash on weathered lattice.

Sings with birdsong,
Cardinals in blazing red plumage, their imperious screech
call forth the lowly finch, all twitter and twitch
majestic Robins with puffed scarlet chests herald a new season
and mourning doves cooing and calming in gray solemn cloaks.

Shelters life,
black and red squirrels challenge each other for the most prized of the fruit of the walnut tree
hares hoard and jealously guard the seed from the birdfeeder
frogs, stalwart guardians of The Pond in their livery of green
night creatures wearing bandit masks brazenly stalk the composter.

Paints with colours,
Spring bulbs replenish the joy of life
Huecheras wave their frilly leaves in rainbow hues
Hostas, the silent green sentinels, all knowing, watch the children from the shade
Pennywort stretches and smiles in all her copper glory after a long winters sleep.

Ring sounds,
Church bells peal for a soul sent home
wolves howl from the marsh, the Hunters Moon
sirens wail, a new soul has arrived
lonely pups anxiously awaiting their companions return.

Enriches the gardener,
Ferns so delicate they forbid a human touch
hands creased in dirt, yet loving and true
leaves of maples in Autumn splendour
Earth so thick yet light filled with cast offs.

Comforts me,
in serenity providing the calm I seek
enlightens me to a path once walked
calling me home to a gentler day
in my garden, my Eden, my backyard.


A collaboration with my partner in rhyme Rogue.

For more scribblings this Sunday please visit Sunday Scribblings.

5 comments:

  1. Twitter and twitch
    Copper glory
    my Eden

    Those above are only a smattering of descriptive phrases that caught my eye. Nice collaboration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. a garden full of descriptions here, love it

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great blog. How brilliant you are with words. I'll have to visit again. Enjoy your day.
    beneaththeelmtree.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just wanted to invite you to join us again this year for BlogBlast4Peace. We hope to see you flying a peace globe with us! It wouldn't be the same without you. One subject. One day. One voice. Join us!

    Mimi
    Founder, BlogBlast4Peace

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gel, Christine, Dee, thank you!

    Mimi, am glad for the reminder, consider it done

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. I know you've popped by :)