Sunday, June 09, 2024

The Nursery

When I last left off there were three mum squirrels who were very pregnant visiting the bird feeder. Normally I quit placing seed out for the birds in May but after seeing these rather plump females with a voracious appetite I felt for them and continued with the seeds.

Two weeks ago I noticed a small herd of smaller squirrels appearing. They were following the mum’s to the garden and the feeder. Hhmmm, I researched when babies were born and read anywhere from February to April. AHA! Dems the babies!

Well the garden has become a home for furry circus performers, Cirque du Squirrela takes centre stage every morning beginning at 6 am and lasting til noon. I swear the babes are born acrobats; chasing each other in spiral formation around the Walnut tree; wrestling each other; and engaging in general mayhem. It begins again early evening after they’ve had their nappie. There are two grey babies with one mum; and four to five black babies following their two mum’s. I can’t keep track who is baby of which mum. It seems to vary day to day.

I set out piles of seed in various locations and am very happy to see siblings and cousins sitting side by side eating. There hasn’t been an argument or squabble yet. That in itself is remarkable as the adults always fought. It’s nice to see beastie cousins get along when human cousins aren’t as amiable. If only we would learn.

Research states if babes are born early enough there will be another litter in September/October. Heaven help me as they are already eating me out of house and home.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. I know you've popped by :)