Friday, January 30, 2009

Ugging thru The White Shite

Those who live in the Northern climes know all about boots, snow boots, warm boots, comfy boots. Anything to keep the tootsies warm and dry yet provides safe walking. At last, thru trial and error I have found me oooooooooommmm boots. The best description is “uggs” but uggie they are not.

O my gawd ! Imagining the joy of walking barefoot thru the white shite, protected from the cold! Can I say devine? I’ve searched for these soles for years and just when they become unfashionable, they reach me. Note to self: read Vogue oftener. Actually, I saw them and pondered, they good for the snow bunnies but the price? Fast forward.

Well! Wandering thru the local shoe shoppe one day I spied, dare I admit it, a knock off. Bugger the original, and I walked out of the shoppe with me new uggs. After all what does an Aussie company know about making snow boots, I ask ya June :).

Few days later off I went to me bro’s in the bush. Ready to tromp thru the woods secure me feet would meld to the path. Exiting the car, I swore I said “Houston we have a problem” as both feet slid apart and found meself looking like Thumper with his first experience on ice. Okies, these obviously need some work.

Being a retired Girl Guide I had a back up bootie. Ahhh Sorels! Good for -40C with socks and as I don’t care to wear socks no matter the season, I was assured they would suffice. Tis like walking with bricks bound to your feet. Mind you the scars are still on me ankles. Seems the joiner didn’t do so good a job and left a few, shall I say bumps. The hammer took care of those.

I pondered the work to be done on me uggs so set about the task. Old sheet spread on the floor, me as well, Dremel at the ready with a new grinder attachment, and the refurbishment began. Obviously the designer of the treads was more into design then into function. I soon fixed that.

An hour later and me uggs had more canals every which way then imaginable. Much more better to grasp the white shite and ice with. Not the sexist booties but one must keep them selves warm in this clime. Besides, me tootsies are happy and warm. And comfy walking is a “good thing” as Miss Martha would say.

15 comments:

  1. Wow..this is great..at first I saw "ugg" and thought of the noise I have been making slogging through the snow to the back yard..LOL...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not much of a boot wearer even though I do live in the northern clime, but now you've piqued my interest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhhh,, the joys of winter. Harumph!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the word ‘uggs’... hee hee! Do you have a pic of the said boots?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michelle, dat be a crunch! in this ccccccold :)

    ooooo Rebecca, do check them out, your tootsies will thank you !

    gotta love em Rogue, hehehehe

    Cath, ya want photos of me own uggs which I've remained to aahhhhs :)

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  6. Trails of the wilderness I traveled, and comfort followed.
    My ooooooom boots , my ooooooom boots
    Why have socks when my feet are so happy?
    OOOOOOOOOmmm boot, my oooooooommm boots!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh you have hit the mother lode, Cheryl. I am an uggs girl through and through. I did find another brand on sale for half price, still from Oz and still real sheepskin lined and still the most fabulous feeling for the feetsies in the world. Fashion? Who cares, it is about the feet! You are wise with that dremel too. No need for that here in TN, but we do need to keep warm and toasty inside and out. Loved your tale.
    Frances

    ReplyDelete
  8. Speeeeedy, you found your ooooommmmmmmmm :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. So very true Frances, we gotsta protect our feetsies and turn those uggs into aahhhhhhs :)
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  10. About time you found uggies.
    Surfers have been using them for like, ever here. You buy a winter grip sole as well.

    NumbNutz

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nutzieeee, at last Aussieland created something better then Vegemite :D hehehehe

    ReplyDelete
  12. (((( Speeeeedy )))), I've been awol but I'm bbaaackkkk :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well hello there !!!! ... sometimes I go AWOL too :-)

    Glad you are back !

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. I know you've popped by :)