Tuesday, December 12, 2023

Season of kindness

I read, I read a lot, usually one to two books a week depending on the page count and my interest.

Recently I finished “Mr. Dickens and His Carol” wonderfully written by Samantha Silva. It is her version of a Christmas Carol and a charming version it tis.

There is one particular paragraph that remains with me and I believe always will...

As did he. As does anyone, he knew, who has moment of true feeling without encumbrances, that cannot be got another way. That has no history, no list of injuries and faults. Someone to see only the best in us. For the worst parts are written on our shin in iron gall ink, indelible, and recited on a regular basis, by whoever knows us best. But a few simple, kind words, even from a near-stranger, can say everything else. And that in itself must be a prize.”

I struggle to explain what this means to me. I feel we all need someone who understands us, as we are, without question. Someone to encourage, accept and love us for who we are, no matter how quirky. No matter how people are that we meet in our journey the end all is to be kind. Everyone has a story we are unaware of and Ms. Silva delicately captures this.

This book will remain on my Christmas shelf to reread every December as a reminder of the season of kindness.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. I know you've popped by :)