Friday, July 21, 2023

Cardinals dine out

Early evening as the sun made its way to bed, I heard a familiar song from the garden. Not wanting to frighten them I remained inside. Behind the patio door I watched in wonderment of a family out for a feast.

Mr. Cardinal brought his two young ones to the bird feeder. The three landed in a pot of abused begonia’s left as a landing place next to the feeder. He coaxed the male into the feeder where he slowly fed him seed. Meanwhile the female flew to an overhanging branch. Dad, being a dad, then flew to the branch and fed her while her brother was left to fend for himself with the little training he had. Atta girl! I know who the favourite sib is.

I enjoyed their interaction; father and children vying for top choice of seed. All were fed with little pecking of each other. Their visit was short but very memorable for myself as I watched the feeding ritual. I have no doubt Mrs. Cardinal told the Mr. to please take the kids out to dinner as I’m just too tired and need "me time". She certainly had her space this evening.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. I know you've popped by :)