Saturday, April 15, 2023

NO EXIT

 

And through the storm of

ice, snow, rain, lightning and thunder,

it was not such a typical April day...


When the elements subsided

I ventured into my garden,

not prepared for the devastation

that laid before me, and I gasped.


Emotions ran high and low as I tiptoed

over branches and rising bulbs,

knowing my Eden that I had created

over decades no longer existed.


50 – 100 year old trees laid twisted,

shredded, crushing the border fence

that protected the garden, keeping it safe

or so I believed when building it just so.


I cried to the trees why?

Why have you given up on yourself

when I have cared for you all these years

pruned you, fed you, and loved you?


They did not answer as their

heart woods were laying in piles

of to be shredded wood,

their life ended in mulch and then forgotten.


In the week since I still wake in tears,

not wanting to open my eyes to reality;

my heart is broken as never before

and I struggle to repair the damage.


The trees gave shade from sun up til down,

cloaking the garden in coolness and soft breezes

providing a home just not for woodland plants

but birds and creatures to nest and rest.


Already I’m seeing the absence of song birds

making nests up on high, and squirrels

have shortened their stay to early morn

then they scoot to a neighbours feeder.


The Pond itself was created for shade,

its water remained clear all summer long,

but not this summer as my favourite

pond plants will not thrive in sun.


I believe I will replant, just not this year,

perhaps with more native trees and shrubs

including Acacia, I will always have Acacia,

strong, beautiful and the untouched trees.


For now there is NO EXIT,

I will continue repairing and cleaning up,

and only when tears are dried

and I regain strength, will I recreate

my Eden, never forgetting my original Eden.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. I know you've popped by :)